I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Deliver Me from My Fears--March 7, 2017


Deliver me from my fears,
dear God, deliver me, I pray.
Jesus had every reason to fear
when he went up to Jerusalem,
but as a faithful Son, he went. 
He was righteous; I am not,
for I am a stubborn man,
but because of his
righteousness,
deliver me.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 34; 146; 25; 91
Deut. 9:1-12
Heb. 3:1-11
John 2:13-22

Selected Verses
Ps. 34:4
 I sought the LORD, and he answered me,
          and delivered me from all my fears. 

Deut. 9:6
Know, then, that the LORD your God is not giving you this good land to occupy because of your righteousness; for you are a stubborn people.

Heb. 3:6
Christ, however, was faithful over God’s house as a son, and we are his house if we hold firm the confidence and the pride that belong to hope.

John 2:13
The Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment