I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Dominion of Death, Dominion of Life--March 23, 2017


We know, O God, that the way of human beings
is not in our control, that we mortals as
we walk cannot direct our steps.

We also know that you have not left us alone,
that even if our fathers and mothers
forsake us, you will not.

Though sin exercises dominion in death,
your grace exercises dominion
that leads to eternal life
through Christ.

Make us more like Jesus, who always 
did what was pleasing to you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 27; 147:12-20; 126; 102
Jer. 10:11-24
Rom. 5:12-21
John 8:21-32

Selected Verses
Ps. 27:10
 If my father and mother forsake me,
          the LORD will take me up.

Jer. 10:23
 I know, O LORD, that the way of human beings is not in their control,
          that mortals as they walk cannot direct their steps. 

Rom. 5:21
…so that, just as sin exercised dominion in death, so grace might also exercise dominion through justification leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

John 8:29
"…And the one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what is pleasing to him."  [Jesus, to his critics in the temple] 

No comments:

Post a Comment