I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Jesus, Our Brother--March 12, 2017


We belong to you, Jesus;
if we do God's will,
you are our brother;
we belong to you,
and you belong to God.

Instruct us and teach us
the way we should go;
with your eye upon us,
counsel us.

And if you are with us
to deliver us,
we will not be afraid--
of the world, or life, or death, 
or the present, or the future.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 84; 150; 42; 32
Jer. 1:1-10
1 Cor. 3:11-23
Mark 3:31-4:9

Selected Verses
Ps. 32:8
I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;
          I will counsel you with my eye upon you. 

Jer. 1:8
"…Do not be afraid of [those to whom I will send you],
     for I am with you to deliver you,
                              says the LORD." 

1 Cor. 3:22-23
…whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future--all belong to you, and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.

Mark 3:34
And looking at those who sat around him, [Jesus] said, "Here are my mother and my brothers!  Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother."

No comments:

Post a Comment