I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Reshape the Clay of Our Lives--March 29, 2017


Lord Jesus, you will not drive away
anyone who comes to you.
Fill us with Holy Spirit
to dwell in us, giving
life to our mortal bodies.

Let your hands, O God, reshape the clay
of our lives, as may seem good to you,
and grant us courage and strength
and patience, as you work out
your gracious will for us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 5; 147:1-11; 27; 51
Jer. 18:1-11
Rom. 8:1-11
John 6:27-40

Selected Verses
Ps. 27:14
Wait for the LORD;
          be strong, and let your heart take courage;
          wait for the LORD!

Jer. 18:4
The vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as seemed good to him.

Rom. 8:11
If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit that dwells in you.

John 6:37
"…Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away…"  [Jesus to the crowd that had followed him across the sea]

No comments:

Post a Comment