I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Give Us Glad and Generous Hearts--April 18, 2017

[From April 7, 2015 archive]

Rise up and show us mercy, O God.
May your Spirit teach us everything;
remind us of all that Jesus said to us,
and give us glad and generous hearts,
for you have dealt bountifully with us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 98; 146; 66; 116
Isa. 30:18-26
Acts 2:36-47
John 14:15-31

Selected Verses
Ps. 116:7
Return, O my soul, to your rest,
          for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

Isa. 30:18a
Therefore the LORD waits to be gracious to you;
          therefore he will rise up to show mercy to you. 

Acts 2:46
Day by day, as [all who believed] spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts…

John 14:26
"…But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.  …"  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment