I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

May Your Spirit Give Us Life--April 15, 2017


God our Redeemer, you are a strong refuge for us;
and it was you who raised Jesus from the dead.
May your Spirit dwell in our mortal bodies,
judging and correcting the intentions
of our hearts, and give them life.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 43; 149; 31; 143
Job 19:21-27a
Heb. 4:1-16
Rom. 8:1-11

Selected Verses
Ps. 31:2
Incline your ear to me;
          rescue me speedily.
Be a rock of refuge for me,
          a strong fortress to save me.

Job 19:25
 For I know that my Redeemer lives,
          and that at the last he will stand upon the earth…

Heb. 4:12
Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 

Rom. 8:11
If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit that dwells in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment