I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

That Your Love May Be in Us--April 13, 2017


Lord Jesus, the time came when anything you said
became a provocation for reproach and derision,
a time your enemies taunted and cursed you.
They knew neither you, nor the Father who
 sent you, nor your love for each other.
May that love be in us, and may you
 be in us, to discipline us in your way.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 27; 147:12-20;126; 102
Jer. 20:7-18
1 Cor. 10:14-17; 11:27-32
John 17:1-26
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 102:8
All day long my enemies taunt me;
          those who deride me use my name for a curse. 

Jer. 20:8b
For the word of the LORD has become for me
          a reproach and derision all day long. 

1 Cor. 11:31-32
But if we judged ourselves, we would not be judged.  But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

John 17:25-26
"…Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me.   I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."  [Jesus praying]

No comments:

Post a Comment