I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Why Should Our Hearts Be Troubled?--April 23, 2017

[From April 19, 2009 archive]

O God, why should our hearts be troubled, if we believe in you?
We have tasted your goodness, how your steadfast love endures.

You have remembered us in our low estate, rescued us from our foes.
For every living creature you have provided food.  No one can block

the work of your hand.  Teach us to be as innocent before you
as newborn infants, receptive and eager to receive your pure,

spiritual milk, that we may grow into your salvation.
Surely, O God, your steadfast love endures forever.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 93; 150; 136; 117
Isa. 43:8-13
1 Peter 2:2-10
John 14:1-7
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 136:23-25
It is he who remembered us in our low estate,
            for his steadfast love endures forever;
and rescued us from our foes,
            for his steadfast love endures forever;
who gives food to all flesh,
            for his steadfast love endures forever.

Isa. 43:13
I am God, and also henceforth I am He;
            there is no one who can deliver from my hand;
            I work and who can hinder it?

1 Peter 2:2-3
Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.

John 14:1
“…Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Believe in God, believe also in me.      [Jesus to the eleven disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment