I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

For Your Name's Sake--May 20, 2017

[From May 12, 2007 archive]

O God, there is no god beside you,
and no one can deliver from your hand.
Send us to heal and proclaim your kingdom.

For your name’s sake, lead us in right paths.
When strong, teach us to abide the weak,
to please you, not to please ourselves.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 92; 149; 23; 114
Deut. 32:34-43
Rom. 15:1-13
Luke 9:1-17    

Selected Verses
Ps. 23:3b
He leads me in right paths
            for his name’s sake.

Deut. 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he;
            there is no god beside me.
I kill and I make alive;
            I wound and I heal;
            and no one can deliver from my hand.

Rom. 15:1
We who are strong ought to put up with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.

Luke 9:2
…and [Jesus] sent [the twelve] out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment