I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

If Soldiers Obey--May 12, 2017


If soldiers obey their commanders,
then why do we not obey you, dear God?

We have been raised with Christ;
help us to seek the things that are above,
where Christ is seated at your right hand.

Though I am like a calf untrained,
Christ has ransomed my soul
from the power of Sheol;
let me come back;
receive me,
I pray.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 96; 148; 49; 138
Jer. 31:15-22
Col. 3:1-11
Luke 7:1-17

Selected Verses
Ps. 49:15
But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol,
          for he will receive me. Selah

Jer. 31:18
Indeed I heard Ephraim pleading:
     "You disciplined me, and I took the discipline;
          I was like a calf untrained.
     Bring me back, let me come back,
          for you are the LORD my God.  …"

Col. 3:1
So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

Luke 7:8
"…For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes, and to another, 'Come,' and he comes, and to my slave, 'Do this,' and the slave does it."  [A centurion, whose slave was ill, to Jesus]

No comments:

Post a Comment