I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

With Bountiful Love--May 2, 2017


Bountifully you have dealt with us, O God!
 Before we loved you, you loved us.
Sometimes we reject your love, though--
sometimes we want to be left alone,
especially if the alternative is to love those
whom we deem unworthy of love.  
When we walk thus in pride, bring us low,
O God of truth, justice, and love.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 98; 146; 66; 116
Dan. 4:28-37
1 John 4:7-21
Luke 4:31-37

Selected Verses
Ps. 116:7
Return, O my soul, to your rest,
          for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

Dan. 4:37
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven,
     for all his works are truth,
          and his ways are justice;
     and he is able to bring low
          those who walk in pride.

1 John 4:19-20
We love because he first loved us.  Those who say, “I love God,” and hate their brothers or sisters, are liars; for those who do not love a brother or sister whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen.

Luke 4:33-34a
In the synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice, "Let us alone!  What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment