I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

All Turn Back to Dust--June 17, 2017

[From June 16, 2007 archive]

We may say that love is strong as death, passion fiercer than the grave;
but the time comes we must bid farewell to those sealed to us;
for we are mortal, and you turn all back to dust.

Therefore, help us put all things in order,
agree with one another, live in peace.

Stay close to us, God of love and peace,
for we do not question your authority.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 63; 149; 125; 90
Song of Sol. 5:10-16; 7:1-7a; 8:6-7
2 Cor. 13:1-13
Luke 20:1-8

Selected Verses
Ps. 90:3
You turn us back to dust,
            and say, "Turn back, you mortals."

Song of Sol. 8:6
Set me as a seal upon your heart,
            as a seal upon your arm;
for love is strong as death,
            passion fierce as the grave.
            Its flashes are flashes of fire,
            a raging flame.

2 Cor. 13:11
Finally, brothers and sisters, farewell.  Put things in order, listen to my appeal, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.

Luke 20:8
Then Jesus said to [the religious leaders}, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things."

No comments:

Post a Comment