I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

At Your Works, O Jesus, We Sing for Joy--June 3, 2017


Lord Jesus, you have made us glad by your work;
at the works of your hands, we sing for joy.
With your own blood, you entered the Holy Place,
and your Spirit lifts us up, your glory shines.
Grant that we may be with you, not against you,
gathering, not scattering.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 92; 149; 23; 114
Ezek. 43:1-12
Heb. 9:1-14
Luke 11:14-23
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 92:4
For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work;
          at the works of your hands I sing for joy.


Ezek. 43:4-5
As the glory of the LORD entered the temple by the gate facing east, his spirit lifted me up, and brought me into the inner court; and the glory of the LORD filled the temple.

Heb. 9:11-12
But when Christ came as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation), he entered once for all into the Holy Place, not with the blood of goats and calves, but with his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. 

Luke 11:23
"…Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters."  [Jesus to the crowds]

No comments:

Post a Comment