I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Not a Bargaining Matter--June 28, 2017


Lord Jesus, what shall I do to remember you?
Shall I return to you with all my heart,
direct my heart to you and serve you only?
Shall I devote myself to prayer
and serving your word?

 If I do these things, will you be gracious
and deliver me from my distress?

No, in remembrance of you and of your
broken body, I dare not bargain.
I must devote myself to you,
no matter the outcome.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 15; 147:1-11; 48; 4
1 Sam. 7:2-17
Acts 6:1-15
Luke 22:14-23

Selected Verses
Ps. 4:1
Answer me when I call, O God of my right!
          You gave me room when I was in distress.
          Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.

1 Sam. 7:3
Then Samuel said to all the house of Israel, "If you are returning to the LORD with all your heart, then put away the foreign gods and the Astartes from among you.  Direct your heart to the LORD, and serve him only, and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines."

Acts 6:3-4
"…Therefore, friends, select from among yourselves seven men of good standing, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this task, while we, for our part, will devote ourselves to prayer and to serving the word."  [The twelve disciples to the community]

Luke 22:19
Then [Jesus] took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to [his disciples], saying, "This is my body, which is given for you.  Do this in remembrance of me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment