I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Send Your Spirit to Remind Us of Jesus--June 4, 2017


Let your steadfast love be upon us, O God,
even as we hope in you; send your Holy Spirit
to remind us of Jesus and all that he taught us--
his wisdom and understanding, counsel and might--
so that our faith may rest not on human wisdom
or worldly knowledge, but on your power.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 104; 150; 29; 33
Isa. 11:1-9
1 Cor. 2:1-13
John 14:21-29

Selected Verses
Ps. 33:22
Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us,
          even as we hope in you.

Isa. 11:2
The spirit of the LORD shall rest on [the branch from the stump of Jesse],
          the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
          the spirit of counsel and might,
          the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD. 

1 Cor. 2:4-5
My speech and my proclamation were not with plausible words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God.

John 14:26
"…But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.  …"  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment