I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Indescribable Gift of Jesus--June 10, 2017


Our soul clings to you, O God; your right hand upholds us.
You have been our help, and in the shadow of your wings
we sing for joy.  You have shown us great trials,
and signs, and great wonders.

But most of all, we thank you for the indescribable gift
of Jesus, who calls us to become like little children
and follow him.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 122; 149; 100; 63
Deut. 29:2-15
2 Cor. 9:1-15
Luke 18:15-30

Selected Verses
Ps. 63:7-8
…for you have been my help,
          and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
          your right hand upholds me.

Deut. 29:3
…the great trials that your eyes saw, the signs, and those great wonders. 

2 Cor. 9:15
Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

Luke 18:16
But Jesus called for [the infants] and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment