I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Remember Me--July 8, 2017

[From July 8, 2011]

Jesus, remember me.
Do not remember my rash acts.

Do not remember how often I have
feared to suffer for the sake of your name.

But remember me; my soul clings to you.
Remember me, and uphold me.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 122; 149; 100; 63
1 Sam. 14:16-30
Acts 9:10-19a
Luke 23:32-43

Selected Verses
Ps. 63:8
My soul clings to you;
          your right hand upholds me.

1 Sam. 14:24a
Now Saul committed a very rash act on that day.

Acts 9:15-16
But the Lord said to [Ananias], “Go, for [Saul of Tarsus] is an instrument whom I have chosen to bring my name before Gentiles and kings and before the people of Israel; I myself will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”

Luke 23:42
Then [the criminal crucified beside Jesus] said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment