I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When in Distress We Call--July 23, 2017


O God, sometimes in our distress we call,
and sometimes it seems you answer,
and you lead us out of danger--
but apparently not always.

Often we are too afraid
to listen for your word--
afraid you will only test us,
and that the test will overcome us.

Transform us by the renewing
 of our minds, dear God,
that we may discern
your will for us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 19; 150; 81; 113
1 Sam. 23:7-18
Rom. 11:33-12:2
Matt. 25:14-30

Selected Verses
Ps. 81:7
 In distress you called, and I rescued you;
          I answered you in the secret place of thunder;
          I tested you at the waters of Meribah.  Selah 

1 Sam. 23:11
"…And now, will Saul come down as your servant has heard?  O LORD, the God of Israel, I beseech you, tell your servant."  The LORD said, "He will come down." 

Rom. 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God--what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Matt. 25:25
"'…so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground.  Here you have what is yours.'  …" [the slave who received one talent, to his master, in Jesus' parable]

No comments:

Post a Comment