I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Who Are We to Hinder You?--July 15, 2017


Lord Jesus, you have called us
to repent and to believe the good news--
if we trust in you, we will be like a mountain
that cannot be moved, but abides forever. 
Why should we hinder your will?
You have saved us before;
you will save us again.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 63; 149; 125; 90
1 Sam. 17:31-49
Acts 11:1-18
Mark 1:14-28

Selected Verses
Ps. 125:1
Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion,
          which cannot be moved, but abides forever. 

1 Sam. 17:37a
David said, "The LORD, who saved me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, will save me from the hand of this Philistine." 

Acts 11:17
"…If then God gave [Gentiles] the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God?"  [Peter to his critics] 

Mark 1:14-15
Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news."

No comments:

Post a Comment