I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

With You, We Will Be Safe--July 22, 2017


Lord Jesus, we will stay with you,
and follow you, and do your will,
and not be afraid, for with you--
continuing in the grace of God--
 we will be safe.  Praise the Lord!

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 104; 149; 138; 98
1 Sam. 22:1-23
Acts 13:26-43
Mark 3:19b-35

Selected Verses
Ps. 149
Praise the Lord!
     Sing to the Lord a new song,
          his praise in the assembly of the faithful. 

1 Sam. 22:22-23
David said to Abiathar, "I knew on that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul.  I am responsible for the lives of all your father’s house.  Stay with me, and do not be afraid; for the one who seeks my life seeks your life; you will be safe with me."
Acts 13:43
When the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who spoke to them and urged them to continue in the grace of God.

Mark 3:35
"…Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother."  [Jesus to the crowd]

No comments:

Post a Comment