I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Choice, and Another Choice--Aug. 13, 2017


We have a choice--to seek gratification
at the expense of the other person,
or to rejoice in the other's success,
even if it comes at our own expense.

If we are strong, we have another choice--
to become angry at the failings of the weak,
or to put up with them, not to please ourselves,
but for the purpose of building up the weaker one.

Search me, O God, try me and know my heart,
and lead me away from all wicked ways
and into your way everlasting.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 103; 150; 117; 139
2 Sam. 13:1-22
Rom. 15:1-13
John 3:22-36

Selected Verses
Ps. 139:23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
          test me and know my thoughts.
See if there is any wicked way in me,
          and lead me in the way everlasting.

2 Sam. 13:16
But [Tamar] said to [Amnon], "No, my brother; for this wrong in sending me away is greater than the other that you did to me." But he would not listen to her. 

Rom. 15:1-2
We who are strong ought to put up with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.  Each of us must please our neighbor for the good purpose of building up the neighbor.

John 3:29b-30
"…The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice.  For this reason my joy has been fulfilled.  He must increase, but I must decrease."  [John the Baptizer to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment