I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

To Lack One Thing--Aug. 16, 2017


His father's attention was
the one thing Absalom asked for;
the only thing James requested of Paul
was to show he obeyed the law of Moses;
the psalmist said that to give you pleasure,
O God, we need to hold you in awe
and hope in your steadfast love.
The rich man lacked one thing:
to sell all he had and follow Jesus.
Then, dear God, what do I lack most?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 89:1-18; 147:1-11; 1, 33
2 Sam. 14:21-33
Acts 21:15-26
Mark 10:17-31

Selected Verses
Ps. 147:10-11
[The LORD's] delight is not in the strength of the horse,
          nor his pleasure in the speed of a runner;
but the LORD takes pleasure in those who fear him,
          in those who hope in his steadfast love.

2 Sam. 14:32
Absalom answered Joab, "Look, I sent word to you: Come here, that I may send you to the king with the question, 'Why have I come from Geshur?  It would be better for me to be there still.'  Now let me go into the king's presence; if there is guilt in me, let him kill me!" 

Acts 21:24
"…Join [the four men under a vow], go through the rite of purification with them, and pay for the shaving of their heads.  Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself observe and guard the law.  …"  [James and the elders to Paul]

Mark 10:20
Jesus, looking at [the man who asked what to do to inherit eternal life], loved him and said, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment