I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

We Plead Our Case, and Watch--Aug. 14, 2017


Merciful God, we plead our case to you, and watch.
We mourn when we lose family or friends;
day after day we yearn for them,
grieving to not see them.

Console us with your Spirit,
that we may be your salty people,
comforting others in their mourning,
and living in peace with one another.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 5; 145; 82; 29
2 Sam. 13:23-39
Acts 20:17-38
Mark 9:42-50

Selected Verses
Ps. 5:3
 O LORD, in the morning you hear my voice;
          in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch.

2 Sam. 13:37-39
But Absalom fled, and went to Talmai son of Ammihud, king of Geshur.  David mourned for his son day after day.  Absalom, having fled to Geshur, stayed there three years.  And the heart of the king went out, yearning for Absalom; for he was now consoled over the death of Amnon.

Acts 20:37-38
There was much weeping among [all the Ephesian elders]; they embraced Paul and kissed him, grieving especially because of what he had said, that they would not see him again.  Then they brought him to the ship.

Mark 9:50
"…Salt is good; but if salt has lost its saltiness, how can you season it?  Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another."  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment