I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Have You Found Me, My Enemy?--Sept. 19, 2017

[From Sept. 15, 2015 archive]

"Have you found me, O my enemy?" said Ahab to Elijah.
"I have found you," answered Elijah, speaking for you, O God.
You have a way of finding us, whether or not we want
to be found--even your foolishness is wiser than our wisdom,
just as your weakness is stronger than our strength.

When in darkness and foolishness we want to hide
from you, let your light dawn upon us, and teach us your way,
that we may walk in your truth, with an undivided
heart to revere your name.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 123; 146; 30; 86
1 Kings 21:17-29
1 Cor. 1:20-31
Matt. 4:12-17

Selected Verses
Ps. 86:11  
Teach me your way, O LORD,
          that I may walk in your truth;
          give me an undivided heart to revere your name. 

1 Kings 21:20a-b
Ahab said to Elijah, "Have you found me, O my enemy?"  He answered, "I have found you.  …"

1 Cor. 1:25
For God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.

Matt. 4:16
"…the people who sat in darkness
          have seen a great light,
and for those who sat in the region and shadow of death
          light has dawned."

No comments:

Post a Comment