I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

My Enemies Trample on Me--Sept. 23, 2017


O God Most High, my enemies trample me all day long--
my anger, hubris, selfishness, distrust--they all fight
 against me.  With Elisha I ask, where are you?
Many  purposes of my heart are hidden
in darkness--bring them to light,
expose them, that I may
fulfill the purposes
you have for
 me.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 56; 149; 118; 111
2 Kings 2:1-18
1 Cor. 4:1-7
Matt. 5:17-20

Selected Verses
Ps. 56:2
…my enemies trample on me all day long,
          for many fight against me.
 O Most High…

2 Kings 2:14a
[Elisha] took the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him, and struck the water, saying, "Where is the LORD, the God of Elijah?"

1 Cor. 4:5
Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart.  Then each one will receive commendation from God.

Matt. 5:17
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.  …" [Jesus, to the crowds on the mountain]

No comments:

Post a Comment