I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Let the Spirit Speak--Oct. 17, 2017


If we try to build up ourselves, Lord Jesus,
believing in our prosperity that we shall never be moved,
and we ignore your words, then we set ourselves up
for a great fall.

Teach us instead, to build up your church,
by listening for your Spirit to speak
through us or through others.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 123; 146; 30; 86
Jer. 36:27-37:2
1 Cor. 14:1-12
Matt. 10:16-23

Selected Verses
Ps. 30:6
As for me, I said in my prosperity,
          "I shall never be moved." 

Jer. 36:29
And concerning King Jehoiakim of Judah you shall say: Thus says the LORD, You have dared to burn this scroll, saying, Why have you written in it that the king of Babylon will certainly come and destroy this land, and will cut off from it human beings and animals? 

1 Cor. 14:4
Those who speak in a tongue build up themselves, but those who prophesy build up the church. 

Matt. 10:19-20
"…When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.  …"  [Jesus to his twelve disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment