I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

But Who Do You Say that I Am?--Nov. 17, 2017


Jesus, King of kings and Lord of lords--
the Messiah, Son of the living God.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is so high that I cannot attain it,
and yet it makes me rejoice with great joy.
May my joy be heard from far away!

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 130; 148; 32; 139
Neh. 12:27-31a, 42b-47
Rev. 19:11-16
Matt. 16:13-20

Selected Verses
Ps. 139:6
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
          it is so high that I cannot attain it.

Neh. 12:42b-43
And the singers sang with Jezrahiah as their leader.  They offered great sacrifices that day and rejoiced, for God had made them rejoice with great joy; the women and children also rejoiced. The joy of Jerusalem was heard far away.

Rev. 19:16
On his robe and on his thigh [the rider on the white horse] has a name inscribed, "King of kings and Lord of lords."
Matt. 16:15-16
[Jesus] said to [his disciples], "But who do you say that I am?"  Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."

No comments:

Post a Comment