I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

With an Undivided Heart, to Walk in Your Truth--Jan. 16, 2018


Merciful, gracious, and loving God,
in your own image you made humankind,
and you gave us Jesus so that we might learn
from him to be obedient through suffering,
and with an undivided heart to walk in
your truth and to revere your name,
for through him is our salvation.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 123; 146; 30; 86
Gen. 9:1-17
Heb. 5:7-14
John 3:16-21

Selected Verses
Ps. 86:11
Teach me your way, O LORD,
          that I may walk in your truth;
          give me an undivided heart to revere your name. 

Gen. 9:6
Whoever sheds the blood of a human, by a human shall that person's blood be shed; for in his own image God made humankind. 

Heb. 5:8
Although [Jesus] was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered…

John 3:17
"…Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.  …"  [Jesus to Nicodemus] 

No comments:

Post a Comment