I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Shepherd of Israel, Lead Your Flock--Oct. 18, 2018



We know no God but you, our Savior.
You feed us in the wilderness;
when lost at sea, you bring
us safely to land.

 O Shepherd of Israel--
lead your flock, and help us
take up our cross daily
and follow you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 36; 147:12-20; 80; 27
Hosea 13:4-8
Acts 27:27-44
Luke 9:18-27

Selected Verses
 Ps. 80:1
Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel,
          you who lead Joseph like a flock! 

Hosea 13:4-5
Yet I have been the LORD your God ever since the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior.  It was I who fed you in the wilderness, in the land of drought. 

Acts 27:44b
And so it was that all were brought safely to land.

Luke 9:23
Then [Jesus] said to them all, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment