I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The One Who Serves--Dec. 14, 2018


Christ, you are the one who serves.
You will regard the prayer of the destitute;
you will not grow weary or despise our prayer.
Comfort our hearts and strengthen them
in every good work and word,
that we also may serve.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 102; 148; 130; 16
Isa. 7:10-25
2 Thess. 2:13-3:5
Luke 22:14-30

Selected Verses
Ps. 102:17
He will regard the prayer of the destitute,
          and will not despise their prayer. 

Isa. 7:13
Then Isaiah said: "Hear then, O house of David!  Is it too little for you to weary mortals, that you weary my God also?  …" 

2 Thess. 2:16-17
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word.

Luke 22:27
"…For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves?  Is it not the one at the table?  But I am among you as one who serves.  …"  [Jesus, to the apostles]

No comments:

Post a Comment