I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When I Am Wise in My Own Eyes--Dec. 11, 2018


God the Lord,
I confess to being
wise in my own eyes,
shrewd in my own sight.
Let me hear what you will speak,
for you will speak peace to your people,
to your faithful, to those who turn to you
in their hearts.

Lord Jesus,
every day you would teach in the temple,
and at night you would go out to pray,
and all the people would rise early
to hear what you said to them.

Holy Spirit,
Teach me to rejoice always,
and pray without ceasing,
and in all circumstances
to give you thanks--
for this is your will
in Christ Jesus.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 33; 146; 85; 94
Isa. 5:18-25
1 Thess. 5:12-28
Luke 21:29-38

Selected Verses
Ps. 85:8
Let me hear what God the LORD will speak,
          for he will speak peace to his people,
          to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts. 

Isa. 5:21
Ah, you who are wise in your own eyes,
     and shrewd in your own sight! 

1 Thess. 5:16-18
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 

Luke 21:37-38
Every day [Jesus] was teaching in the temple, and at night he would go out and spend the night on the Mount of Olives, as it was called.  And all the people would get up early in the morning to listen to him in the temple. 

1 comment: