I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Table Prepared for All--May 23, 2020


Christ Jesus, in the presence of our enemies
you prepare a feast for all of us
to share at your table together,
break down walls that divide.

You are our peace; put your Spirit on us all;
no longer we and they, us or them;
hostility and jealousy disappeared,
we follow you down the mountain.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 92; 149; 23; 114
Num. 11:16-17, 24-29
Eph. 2:11-22
Matt. 7:28-8:4

Selected Verses
Ps. 23:5a
You prepare a table before me
          in the presence of my enemies…

Num. 11:29
But Moses said to [Joshua], “Are you jealous for my sake?  Would that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit on them!”

Eph. 2:14
For [Christ Jesus] is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us.

Matt. 8:1
When Jesus had come down from the mountain, great crowds followed him…

No comments:

Post a Comment