I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

January 02, 2007

I. Readings
Psalms 9, 29, 48
Genesis 12:1-7
Hebrews 11:1-12
John 6:35-42, 48-51

II. Selections
Psalm 9:18
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor perish forever.

Genesis 12:1
Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. ... "

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

John 6:35
Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. ... "

III. Meditation: Hope for things not seen

Lord Jesus, you promised
that those who come to you
will never be hungry
and those who believe in you
will never be thirsty.

It seems you were speaking
of spiritual hunger and thirst;
but we know you also cared
about physical hunger and thirst.
How long will the needy be forgotten?
Will the hope of the poor forever perish?

As you called Abraham to be a blessing,
call us to work for the hungry and thirsty.
As you led Abraham, show us the way;
and give us the assurance of things hoped for,
the conviction of things not seen--
faith to help the poor and needy.

No comments:

Post a Comment