I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When Things I Do Displease You, God--Aug. 9, 2013

-->
 When the things I have done displease you,
consider my affliction and my trouble;
and forgive all my sins, O God.

I try to make a defense before others
and before you; I am not able.
Have pity, Lord; help me.

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 84; 148; 25; 40
2 Sam. 12:1-14
Acts 19:21-41
Mark 9:14-29

Selected Verses

Ps. 25:18
Consider my affliction and my trouble,
          and forgive all my sins.

2 Sam. 12:1a
But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD, and the LORD sent Nathan to David.

Acts 19:33b
And Alexander motioned for silence and tried to make a defense before the people.

Mark 9:22
"…[The spirit] has often cast [my son] into the fire and into the water, to destroy him; but if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us."  [The father of the boy who had a seizure to Jesus]

No comments:

Post a Comment