I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

One Maker, One Grace for All--Sept. 13, 2012



We have no good apart from you, Lord Jesus;
you have called us to get up quickly and come to you.

The call is not for us alone, but for people everywhere;
did not the same Maker fashion us all in the womb?

By your grace salvation is for everyone;
quickly may we answer your call.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 97; 147:12-20; 16; 62
Job 29:1, 31:1-23
Acts 15:1-11
John 11:17-29

Selected Verses
Ps. 16:2
I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
      I have no good apart from you.”

Job 31:15
"…Did not he who made me in the womb make [my slaves]? And did not one fashion us in the womb? …" [Job]

Acts 15:11
"…On the contrary, we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as [the Gentiles] will." [Peter to the apostles and elders in Jerusalem]

John 11:28-29

When [Martha] had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary, and told her privately, "The Teacher is here and is calling for you." And when [Mary] heard it, she got up quickly and went to [Jesus].

No comments:

Post a Comment