I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Salvation Belongs to You--Oct. 21, 2014


Salvation belongs to you,
to you and to the Lamb, O God,
and your kingdom has come near.
Fill us with your Spirit and power;
fill us with justice and might.
In your faithfulness put an
end to our sinfulness.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 54; 146; 28; 99
Micah 3:1-8
Rev. 7:9-17
Luke 10:1-16

Selected Verses
Ps. 54:5
He will repay my enemies for their evil.
          In your faithfulness, put an end to them.

Micah 3:8a
But as for me, I am filled with power,
            with the spirit of the Lord,
            and with justice and might… 

Rev. 7:10
[The great multitude] cried out in a loud voice, saying, "Salvation belongs to our God who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb!" 

Luke 10:9
"…cure the sick who are [in the town], and say to them, 'The kingdom of God has come near to you.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment