I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Before Pilate, the Good Confession--Mar. 29, 2015


Shout aloud and rejoice greatly;
let heart and flesh sing for joy to you,
Son of David; little children hosanna you,
but does anyone listen to what they are saying,
or remember all the amazing things you have done?
And now before Pilate you make the good confession.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 84; 150; 42; 32
Zech. 9:9-12
1 Tim. 6:12-16
Matt. 21:12-17

Selected Verses
Ps. 84:2a
…my heart and my flesh sing for joy
          to the living God.

Zech. 9:9a
Rejoice greatly, O daughter Zion!
          Shout aloud, O daughter Jerusalem! 

1 Tim. 6:13
In the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you…

Matt. 21:15-16a
But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the amazing things that [Jesus] did, and heard the children crying out in the temple, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they became angry and said to him, “Do you hear what these are saying?”

No comments:

Post a Comment