I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Though We Forget You, Jesus--Mar. 3, 2015


Lord Jesus, we do not want you to remember
the sins of our youth or our transgressions:
how we have exchanged the truth for a lie
and worshiped and served the creature
rather than the Creator, who
is blessed forever.

No, we want you
to remember us and the
good we have done, though days
without number we have forgotten you
and the signs of your love.  Lord have mercy.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 34; 146; 25; 91
Jer. 2:1-13, 29-32
Rom. 1:16-25
John 4:43-54

Selected Verses
Ps. 25:7
Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
          according to your steadfast love remember me,
          for your goodness’ sake, O LORD!

Jer. 2:32
Can a girl forget her ornaments,
          or a bride her attire?
Yet my people have forgotten me,
          days without number.

Rom. 1:25
…because [those who suppressed the truth] exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever!  Amen.

John 4:54  
Now this was the second sign that Jesus did after coming from Judea to Galilee.

No comments:

Post a Comment