I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

To Boast only in Christ--Mar. 31, 2015


O Jesus, you said if a grain of wheat
is to bear much fruit, first it must
fall into the earth and must die.
If I am to utter what is precious
and not what is worthless, dear Lord,
it will be because you supply the words.
Transform the body of my humiliation;
conform it to the body of your glory,
that my soul may boast only in you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 34; 146; 25; 91
Jer. 15:10-21
Phil. 3:15-21
John 12:20-26

Selected Verses
Ps. 34:2
My soul makes its boast in the LORD;
          let the humble hear and be glad. 

Jer. 15:19
Therefore, thus says the LORD:
If you turn back, I will take you back,
          and you shall stand before me.
If you utter what is precious, and not what is worthless,
          you shall serve as my mouth. 
 It is they who will turn to you,
          not you who will turn to them. 

Phil. 3:21
[The Lord Jesus Christ] will transform the body of our humiliation so that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, by the power that also enables him to make all things subject to himself.

John 12:24
"…Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.  …"  [Jesus to Andrew and Philip upon hearing that Greeks wanted to see him]

No comments:

Post a Comment