I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God, and henceforth God--Apr. 12, 2015


O God, you are God, and henceforth you are God,
and great is your steadfast love toward us,
and your faithfulness endures forever.

There is no one who can deliver
from your hand; you work
and who can hinder it?

But out of darkness
you have called us to be
your people, not for privilege,
but to proclaim your mighty acts.

And you have given us Jesus, who has
prepared a place for us, and who will come
and take us to himself, that we may be with him.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 93; 150; 136; 117
Isa. 43:8-13
1 Pet. 2:2-10
John 14:1-7

Selected Verses
Ps. 117:2
For great is his steadfast love toward us,
          and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever.
Praise the LORD!

Isa. 43:13
I am God, and also henceforth I am He;
          there is no one who can deliver from my hand;
          I work and who can hinder it?

1 Pet. 2:9
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 

John 14:3
"…And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.  …"  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment