I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

My Voice, or the Mob's, or Yours?--July 2, 2015


Pilate listened to the voice of a mob
and released the murderer, Barabbas,
and handed Jesus over to be crucified.

Saul listened to his own voice, not yours,
and lost his patience, and lost your favor.

Philip listened to the voice of an angel;
he chose a wilderness road, one that
led to a conversion experience.

You are my God--teach me to
do your will; let your Spirit
lead me on a level path.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 143; 147:12-20; 81; 116
1 Sam. 13:5-18
Acts 8:26-40
Luke 23:13-25

Selected Verses
Ps. 143:10
Teach me to do your will,
          for you are my God.
Let your good spirit lead me
          on a level path.

1 Sam. 13:13
Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly; you have not kept the commandment of the LORD your God, which he commanded you.  …"

Acts 8:26
Then an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Get up and go toward the south to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.”  (This is a wilderness road.) 

Luke 23:25
[Pilate] released the man they asked for, the one who had been put in prison for insurrection and murder, and he handed Jesus over as they wished.

No comments:

Post a Comment