I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Cry of the Exile--Oct. 9, 2015


Many the people forced to leave their homeland  
and many the sufferings they have had to endure.

Their persecutors are too strong for them, God;
heed their cries for mercy, Son of David,
for they have been brought very low.

Help us be with the sufferers
and share in their pain.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 51; 148; 142; 65
2 Kings 23:36-24:17
1 Cor. 12:12-26
Matt. 9:27-34

Selected Verses
Ps. 142:6
Give heed to my cry,
          for I am brought very low.
Save me from my persecutors,
          for they are too strong for me. 

2 Kings 24:14
[The king of Babylon] carried away all Jerusalem, all the officials, all the warriors, ten thousand captives, all the artisans and the smiths; no one remained, except the poorest people of the land. 

1 Cor. 12:26
If one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it.

Matt. 9:27
As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, crying loudly, “Have mercy on us, Son of David!”

No comments:

Post a Comment