I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Peter Was Afraid--Feb. 8, 2016

[From Feb. 15, 2010 archive]

Peter was afraid, his life in great peril,
and fear drove Peter to deny his Lord.
I would have been terrified in his place.

Besides, Peter wanted others to think
well of him.  If they did not praise him,
then Peter was ready to praise himself.
I do the same.  No, I cannot blame Peter.

Bless us with your peace; and give us
your strength; so that we have no need
to conceal who we are, or to put on airs.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 5, 145, 82, 29
Prov. 27:1-6, 10-12
Phil. 2:1-13
John 18:15-18, 25-27

Selected Verses
Ps. 29:11
May the LORD give strength to this people!
            May the LORD bless his people with peace!

Prov. 27:2
Let another praise you, and not your own mouth—
            a stranger, and not your own lips.

Phil. 2:3
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves.

John 18:27
Again Peter denied [that he had been a disciple of Jesus], and at that moment the cock crowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment