I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Sparrows and Swallows, but not Jesus--Feb. 5, 2016


 Rebekah welcomed Abraham's servant,
though she did not know who he was,
and even the sparrows and swallows
were welcome at your altars, O God,
but your Son was not welcome there.
He had to endure hostility from sinners.
When we grow weary of rejection,
help us not to lose heart.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 84; 148; 25; 40
Gen. 24:1-27
Heb. 12:3-11
John 7:1-13

Selected Verses
Ps. 84:3
Even the sparrow finds a home,
          and the swallow a nest for herself,
          where she may lay her young,
at your altars, O LORD of hosts,
          my King and my God. 

Gen. 24:27b
"…As for me, the LORD has led me on the way to the house of my master's kin."  [The prayer of thanks by Abraham's servant when he found Rebekah]

Heb. 12:3
Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart. 

John 7:1b
[Jesus] did not wish to go about in Judea because the Jews were looking for an opportunity to kill him.

No comments:

Post a Comment