I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Last of All, Servant of All--March 14, 2016


I know, O God, in faithfulness you have humbled me,
and you know how often I want to be greatest--
and also how often  I ask you to send someone else.
If I dare ask for spiritual gifts, my first request
must be for humility to be last of all and servant of all.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 119:73-80; 145; 121; 6
Exod. 4:10-31
1 Cor. 14:1-19
Mark 9:30-41

Selected Verses
Ps. 119:75
I know, O LORD, that your judgments are right,
          and that in faithfulness you have humbled me. 

Exod. 4:13
But [Moses] said, "O my Lord, please send someone else."

1 Cor. 14:12
So with yourselves; since you are eager for spiritual gifts, strive to excel in them for building up the church.

Mark 9:34
But [Jesus' disciples] were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another who was the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment