I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

More than Pharaoh's Daughter--March 11, 2016


More than Pharaoh’s daughter
loved the baby Moses,
more than our mothers loved us,
you, O God, loved your Son.
If we love him, too, we must listen to him;
if we listen to him, we will love others;
if we do not, we are nothing. 

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 22; 148; 105; 130
Exod. 2:1-22
1 Cor. 12:27-13:3
Mark 9:2-13

Selected Verses
Ps. 22:9
Yet it was you who took me from the womb;
          you kept me safe on my mother’s breast. 

Exod. 2:5b-6
[Pharaoh's daughter] saw the basket among the reeds and sent her maid to bring it.  When she opened it, she saw the child.  He was crying, and she took pity on him, "This must be one of the Hebrews' children," she said.

1 Cor. 13:2
And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 

Mark 9:7
Then a cloud overshadowed [Peter, James, and John], and from the cloud there came a voice, "This is my Son, the Beloved; listen to him!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment