I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Reproved by a Gentile Woman--March 7, 2016


When a Gentile woman reproved you, Jesus,
you praised her and even granted her request.
When I am reproved, I want to defend myself;
I seek my own advantage, not that of another.
My anger can be fierce, my wrath cruel.
In faithfulness you humble me.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 119:73-80; 145; 121; 6
Gen. 49:1-28
1 Cor. 10:14-11:1
Mark 7:24-37

Selected Verses
Ps. 119:75
I know, O LORD, that your judgments are right,
          and that in faithfulness you have humbled me. 

Gen. 49:7a
…Cursed be [the anger of Simeon and Levi], for it is fierce, and their wrath, for it is cruel! 

1 Cor. 10:24
Do not seek your own advantage, but that of the other.

Mark 7:28
But [the Syrophoenician woman] answered [Jesus], "Sir, even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs."

No comments:

Post a Comment