I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Not on Myself Alone--April 11, 2016


God, I confess that I like to be in charge—
I think I know how some things should be done,
and if I want them done that way, it’s best I do them.
But you oppose the proud; your grace goes to the humble;
teach me to clothe myself with humility as I deal with others.
Show me that there are others who make the path straight,
in truth, far straighter than I make it; help me see how
I wear myself out and also all who are around me
when I tackle what is too heavy to do alone.

With no help from me,
you made heaven and earth.
Surely I must rely on you, and with
you as you work through others,
not on myself alone.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 97; 145; 124; 115
Exod. 18:13-27
1 Peter 5:1-14
Matt. 1:1-17, 3:1-6

Selected Verses
Ps. 124:8
Our help is in the name of the LORD,
          who made heaven and earth.

Exod. 18:18
You will surely wear yourself out, both you and these people with you. For the task is too heavy for you; you cannot do it alone. 

1 Peter 5:4b
And all of you must clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another, for “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

Matt. 3:3
[John the Baptist] is the one of whom the prophet Isaiah spoke when he said, “The voice of one crying out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment