I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God of Life, not Death--June 22, 2016


Gracious God, I understand that you have the right
to do what you choose with what belongs to you,
but, forgive me, I cannot believe you executed
fifteen thousand of your people--including
mothers and babies--because men dared
question Moses' right to lead them.
I know you as God who gives life
 to the dead, not death to the living;
who calls into existence the things that
do not exist; who gives us room in our distress.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 15; 147:1-11; 48; 4
Num. 16:36-50
Rom. 4:13-25
Matt. 20:1-16
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 4:1
Answer me when I call, O God of my right!
          You gave me room when I was in distress.
          Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.

Num. 16:48-49
[Aaron] stood between the dead and the living; and the plague was stopped.  Those who died by the plague were fourteen thousand seven hundred, besides those who died in the affair of Korah. 

Rom. 4:17b
…in the presence of the God in whom [Abraham] believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. 

Matt. 20:15
"…'Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me?'…" [The landowner to his slave in Jesus' parable of the vineyard laborers]

No comments:

Post a Comment