I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Do not Let Your Power Leave Us--Aug. 14, 2016


We sing aloud to you, O God;
you are our joy and strength.

O Christ, you were crucified
in weakness, but you live
by the power of God; your
power goes forth from you
and you are powerful in us.

Awake us from our sleep,
and do not let your power
leave us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 19; 150; 81; 113
Judg. 16:15-31
2 Cor. 13:1-11
Mark 5:25-34
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 81:1
 Sing aloud to God our strength;
          shout for joy to the God of Jacob. 

Judg. 16:20
Then Delilah said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!"  When he awoke from his sleep, he thought, "I will go out as at other times, and shake myself free."  But he did not know that the LORD had left him. 

2 Cor. 13:3b-4a
[Christ] is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful in you.  For he was crucified in weakness, but lives by the power of God. 

Mark 5:30
Immediately aware that power had gone forth from him, Jesus turned about in the crowd and said, "Who touched my clothes?"

No comments:

Post a Comment